Monday, February 4, 2008

Themes

My mother is in the middle of renovating her brownstone in Brooklyn and one day I went int the basement to go through my boxes of stuff that I left behind before I left for college. I found a tiny crumpled piece of paper between some of my old high school, jr. high and elementary school work (I save everything) and judging by my handwriting it was jr. high. This is what the paper said:

Themes

*Dreams can either save or destroy a person.

*Values and ideals are worth fighting for.

*We do not simply live for ourselves but for those who came before and will come after us.

*Only through self-respect and self-esteem can people live comfortably with themselves.

*Materialism and money, in themselves, are worthless.

*Dreams are necessary and important even if we don't completely realize them.

*Families can survive any catastrophe if the members love each other and share a common goal.

*It's never too late to start over.


Very simple and basic but I was just thinking that with all the rigors of life we sometimes need that little reality check, I guess this was mine.

No comments: